Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Casualties and more Tough Stuff

In 2009, our Westie, Max, ran away. We were planning to get a new dog last summer, but after Brad's death, I just couldn't handle another breathing thing to care for. A few months ago, after months of begging, I finally gave in.  We rescued a Great Pyranees from the shelter. He just fit right in and was the best dog….until he decided to bite two of Nate's friends unprovoked. So, back he went….with me sobbing the whole way. The kids and I became attached to him very quickly. A friend had seen my post on Facebook about the drama, and knew of a family who was needing to pass their dog along to another family. Enter Bo. He is the cutest little Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. The kids absolutely adore him. I can't really say the same, because he sheds terribly and I am already overwhelmed with a messy house. So, while I don't necessarily adore him, I do love him because my kids love him. So, Bo….well, apparently he has decided that he likes to eat Christmas decorations. He has not shown interest in anything else since we got him this summer, but leave some unsuspecting Christmas decor lying around and it is history. It started with my wreath. Casualties from this session included a pine cone, a gold pear, and some berries. The next to go was the cutest little camel that went with a wooden nativity set that I have had since Brad and I first got married. Allie found his head. I found pieces of the rest of him. Then just this morning, I hear him in the other room chewing on something. I walked in to find him gnawing on my Hummel ornament given to me by a dear family friend around the same time as the camel. Apparently we will have to move all our ornaments up a little like people with toddlers. I haven't figured out what his obsession with Christmas decorations is all about! Here's a picture of his cute little face. Don't let it fool you. ;-)

Now to the Tough Stuff. Nate had to wear a dress shirt and tie today because they have their first away game for basketball. After all those years of watching Brad tie a tie, I just knew I could do it. I couldn't. We even pulled up instructions on YouTube, and I still couldn't do it. Thank goodness for a dear neighbor who came to the rescue. Again, the tears. My emotions swing wildly from "I'm inadequate as a parent to a 13 year old boy" to "My child should not have to have friend's dad help him with his tie! It should be HIS dad!" Surely God has something magnificent in store for my children. I just have to cling to that hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment